Reading blog #18
Gloria Anzaluda
1. El Otro Mexico is about the border that distinguishes people based on their race. The author starts off by introducing the importance of the Mexican-American war. The author really acknowledges the fact that immigrants have their own names based on what the whites call them. For example, aliens or savages.
2. 1. "After Mexican-American resisters robbed a train in Brownsville, Texas onOctober 18, 1915, Angelo vigilante groups began lynching Chicanos"(8).
When I first read this passage I was extremely shocked. I have heard stories of whites taking over what os not theirs and blackmailing farmers to leave. Families were killed and a lot of people left their ranches and farms. This is devastating because whites basically wanted the war to happen so they can take over land that wasn't even theirs in the first place.
2. "I remember being caught speaking Spanish at recess-that was gapped fro me three licks on the knuckles with a sharp ruler"(53).
This is still relatable today everywhere in society, especially with our new president. I have witnessed people discriminating hispanics for speaking their language and "to go back to their country". You can find it in social media anywhere with videos being put up everyday.
3. "Chicanos did not know we were a people until 1965 when Cesar Chavez and the farmworkers united and book was published and La Raza Unida party was formed in Texas"(63).
Cesar Chavez is one of the most famous activists I know that really made a difference for farm workers. I admire him for brining back the definition of unity to the chicano people.
1. El Otro Mexico is about the border that distinguishes people based on their race. The author starts off by introducing the importance of the Mexican-American war. The author really acknowledges the fact that immigrants have their own names based on what the whites call them. For example, aliens or savages.
2. 1. "After Mexican-American resisters robbed a train in Brownsville, Texas onOctober 18, 1915, Angelo vigilante groups began lynching Chicanos"(8).
When I first read this passage I was extremely shocked. I have heard stories of whites taking over what os not theirs and blackmailing farmers to leave. Families were killed and a lot of people left their ranches and farms. This is devastating because whites basically wanted the war to happen so they can take over land that wasn't even theirs in the first place.
2. "I remember being caught speaking Spanish at recess-that was gapped fro me three licks on the knuckles with a sharp ruler"(53).
This is still relatable today everywhere in society, especially with our new president. I have witnessed people discriminating hispanics for speaking their language and "to go back to their country". You can find it in social media anywhere with videos being put up everyday.
3. "Chicanos did not know we were a people until 1965 when Cesar Chavez and the farmworkers united and book was published and La Raza Unida party was formed in Texas"(63).
Cesar Chavez is one of the most famous activists I know that really made a difference for farm workers. I admire him for brining back the definition of unity to the chicano people.
Comments
Post a Comment