Reading blog #10
They Say/I Say 1-3
1. In the first chapter, it starts off with Dr. X never really sitting why he needs to be stating his thesis. Basically, the lesson learned in this is that the writer needs to indicate their thesis clearly and also explain your response on what others say. In chapter 2, the authors discuss the art of summarizing. They state that it is important to summarize other's work and building off of others ideas to your own. You should only be biased when your opinion shows up. In chapter 3, it states the art of quoting in which quoting is not rewriting someone else's argument into your own words.
2. 1. "Another way of opening up a debate involves starting with a proposition many people agree with in order to highlight the point(s) on which they ultimately disagree"(26).
When I first read this, I found it to be true. Whenever I am involved in a debate or see one, they start off with the facts the opposing side is giving and fire back with their own facts. One fact that has been deeply researched could change the whole game, meaning one thing could make the argument more convincing. When writing an essay, it is important to start off with the proposition people agree with so they can pick out the facts they don't agree with.
2. "To write a really good summary, you must be able to suspend your own beliefs for a time and put yourself in the shoes of someone else"(31).
This is like saying not being selfish and looking through someone else's point of view. Summarizing can be difficult especially when you don't know what you just read. Everyone has their own opinions and summarizing someone else's point of view could be helpful in progressing your argument.
3. "Some writers quote too little- perhaps because they don't want to bother going back to the original text and looking up the author's exact words, or because they think they can reconstruct the author's ideas from memory"(42).
I agree with this statement because I find myself doing this sometimes. I get too lazy to go back to find the line that best helped my argument. Putting in quotes could be way more better than just briefly summarizing a part of what the author said.
3. How to do summarizing and quoting connect when writing an essay or argument?
1. In the first chapter, it starts off with Dr. X never really sitting why he needs to be stating his thesis. Basically, the lesson learned in this is that the writer needs to indicate their thesis clearly and also explain your response on what others say. In chapter 2, the authors discuss the art of summarizing. They state that it is important to summarize other's work and building off of others ideas to your own. You should only be biased when your opinion shows up. In chapter 3, it states the art of quoting in which quoting is not rewriting someone else's argument into your own words.
2. 1. "Another way of opening up a debate involves starting with a proposition many people agree with in order to highlight the point(s) on which they ultimately disagree"(26).
When I first read this, I found it to be true. Whenever I am involved in a debate or see one, they start off with the facts the opposing side is giving and fire back with their own facts. One fact that has been deeply researched could change the whole game, meaning one thing could make the argument more convincing. When writing an essay, it is important to start off with the proposition people agree with so they can pick out the facts they don't agree with.
2. "To write a really good summary, you must be able to suspend your own beliefs for a time and put yourself in the shoes of someone else"(31).
This is like saying not being selfish and looking through someone else's point of view. Summarizing can be difficult especially when you don't know what you just read. Everyone has their own opinions and summarizing someone else's point of view could be helpful in progressing your argument.
3. "Some writers quote too little- perhaps because they don't want to bother going back to the original text and looking up the author's exact words, or because they think they can reconstruct the author's ideas from memory"(42).
I agree with this statement because I find myself doing this sometimes. I get too lazy to go back to find the line that best helped my argument. Putting in quotes could be way more better than just briefly summarizing a part of what the author said.
3. How to do summarizing and quoting connect when writing an essay or argument?
Comments
Post a Comment