Reading blog #16
Ta-nehisi Coates Between the World and Me
1. The first thing I thought when I read this passage was that a white police officer killed an innocent black man. I assumed that it was the usual incident that happens most of the time in my generation. This book portrays the difficulties African Americans have to go through in order to survive. Police officers or white people in general are privileged and the passage demonstrated how African Americans don't ever get justice due to their race.
2. "Prince had been driving to see his fiancee. He was killed yards from her home"(77).
This is an example of injustice that African Americans go through. Innocent black people have been murdered and police officers are set free knowing well enough they did something wrong. Racism still exists today and people are blinded to see that.
"Forgiving the killer of Prince Jones would have seemed irrelevant to me"(79).
People say forgive and forget but this is not the case in this situation. I can't imagine forgiving someone who killed someone I truly care and was close with. The author mention that the police are pigs. When I read this, I felt the hatred towards police that have done wrong to people of color. It is a messed up system that needs to be changed.
"I was told that citizens were more likely to ask for police support than to complain about brutality"(84).
I agree with this statement because people are too scared to speak up due to the fear of police. They've done enough already and seem to get what they want.
3. Why don't police officers confront other police officers?
1. The first thing I thought when I read this passage was that a white police officer killed an innocent black man. I assumed that it was the usual incident that happens most of the time in my generation. This book portrays the difficulties African Americans have to go through in order to survive. Police officers or white people in general are privileged and the passage demonstrated how African Americans don't ever get justice due to their race.
2. "Prince had been driving to see his fiancee. He was killed yards from her home"(77).
This is an example of injustice that African Americans go through. Innocent black people have been murdered and police officers are set free knowing well enough they did something wrong. Racism still exists today and people are blinded to see that.
"Forgiving the killer of Prince Jones would have seemed irrelevant to me"(79).
People say forgive and forget but this is not the case in this situation. I can't imagine forgiving someone who killed someone I truly care and was close with. The author mention that the police are pigs. When I read this, I felt the hatred towards police that have done wrong to people of color. It is a messed up system that needs to be changed.
"I was told that citizens were more likely to ask for police support than to complain about brutality"(84).
I agree with this statement because people are too scared to speak up due to the fear of police. They've done enough already and seem to get what they want.
3. Why don't police officers confront other police officers?
Comments
Post a Comment