Second Essay Draft

Introduction:

Reading and writing has made a pretty big impact on my life. Without knowing how to read or write, I wouldn’t be able to understand material and love learning. I am a partial reader, meaning I usually read parts of a book and I am usually incapable of finishing a book. As a writer, I write down my feelings and thoughts. I do this because when I have a lot on my mind, I let it everything out and it’s just private to yourself. I like writing about something I have experienced and how I felt in that situation. Writing down my thoughts and reading them over again has helped me grow by being a source of happiness.

Paragraph 1: 
When I was at a young age, I went to a bilingual school. I knew Spanish better than English because my parents talked to me in that language. As I grew older, I learned to speak English very well and my parents seemed to learn a bit as well. Just like Amy Tan, I speak different English with my parents compared to my friends. Specifically to my father, I say words so that he can understand and not make it complicated. Once my father knew I could talk English well, “[he] used to have me call people on the phone to pretend I was [him]”(2). I assisted him in scheduling appointments, speaking with his doctor, and basically just talking to important people for him. Speaking two languages has been efficient in my life and has definitely improved my communication with others. Reading and writing in two languages will help me in college because it has expanded my knowledge.

Paragraph 2:
I have developed my writing in school by doing essays, spoken word, poems, and reading graphic novels. Writing essays have helped me introduce the language of creativity. The way words connect and are put together is amazing to me because there are many possibilities on how to write. Research papers have helped me to open up to new knowledge, especially the issues in our world today. Major issues that I wrote about were on discrimination, human trafficking, and immigration. I truly relate to Malcolm X when it came down to doing his research on discrimination in America. In the article, Malcolm X-Learning How to Read, a line that stood out to me was when he talked about the power of the white men. “
In contrast, reading and writing spoken word was something I enjoyed doing. I became interested in this art when I was in middle in school. The way people performed their speech in a way to catch the audience's attention was moving. Most of the spoken word I read or seen involved personal experiences and social justice issues that are being faced today.
















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

P.W. 10/24

Blog #9

Reading blog #10