Reading blog #8: Ways of Seeing
1. The article addresses the manner in which men and woman are culturally represented. The author claims the different representation between men and women on how they are looked at. He argues that women are self-conscious and are always aware of their own presence. Each gender has their own form of "gazes."
1. 1. "It is important here not to confuse publicity with the pleasure or benefits to be enjoyed from the things it advertises"(138).
I related to this since I do buy things that I do not need. I buy clothes rather than food. Buying new clothes or makeup gets me really happy and it makes me want to show it off. I realize that it doesn't even matter after awhile, and I really should have used that money for food when I get hungry. When a new makeup brand comes out, makeup lovers are the first in line to buy these products. Sometimes the quality isn't even good.
2. "Publicity images often use sculptures or paintings to lend allure or authority to their own message"(135).
Back then they used sculptures or paintings to advertise something to the public. Nowadays, you see mannequins and posters. Mannequins wearing the brand clothes demonstrates the fashion or trend going on. I guess it just shows off how cute a piece of clothing is and how it will look on a human body. But not all mannequins are diverse, meaning the mannequins are always the same shape and size (usually skinny).
3. "Publicity is the culture of the consumer society"(139).
Getting the public's attention is definitely the way to gain consumers. Whatever catches their eye, it will most likely be bought. The public plays a big role to the economy. The more a business sells, the more their business and consumers grow. For example, Starbucks started out small and as more coffee lovers continued to buy, the more it expanded. You can literally find a Starbucks within a few miles from where you are.
3. What other ways are there to catch the attention of consumers, and how have they been effective?
1. 1. "It is important here not to confuse publicity with the pleasure or benefits to be enjoyed from the things it advertises"(138).
I related to this since I do buy things that I do not need. I buy clothes rather than food. Buying new clothes or makeup gets me really happy and it makes me want to show it off. I realize that it doesn't even matter after awhile, and I really should have used that money for food when I get hungry. When a new makeup brand comes out, makeup lovers are the first in line to buy these products. Sometimes the quality isn't even good.
2. "Publicity images often use sculptures or paintings to lend allure or authority to their own message"(135).
Back then they used sculptures or paintings to advertise something to the public. Nowadays, you see mannequins and posters. Mannequins wearing the brand clothes demonstrates the fashion or trend going on. I guess it just shows off how cute a piece of clothing is and how it will look on a human body. But not all mannequins are diverse, meaning the mannequins are always the same shape and size (usually skinny).
3. "Publicity is the culture of the consumer society"(139).
Getting the public's attention is definitely the way to gain consumers. Whatever catches their eye, it will most likely be bought. The public plays a big role to the economy. The more a business sells, the more their business and consumers grow. For example, Starbucks started out small and as more coffee lovers continued to buy, the more it expanded. You can literally find a Starbucks within a few miles from where you are.
3. What other ways are there to catch the attention of consumers, and how have they been effective?
Comments
Post a Comment