Reading blog #7: From Ethos to Logos
1. The article talks about the importance of using ethos, logos, and pathos. Ethos is a form of argument based on character and authority. Pathos is a form of argument that is based on emotion. Logos is a form of argument based on logic and facts.
2. 1. "An ad on a billboard will reach many people whose assumptions about hunger in America, will vary, as will their levels of education, race, gender, and ethnicity"(238).
This line caught my attention because I have noticed that billboard ads hat talk about hunger issues or drug use will be placed on an urban area. I don't see much billboard ads with these topics in a nice suburban area. I believe that these ads try to identify what kind of people they are in a neighborhood. They target the attention of the audience to persuade them into buying their products or joining their company. I notice that pathos is used quite a lot when advertising so it could relate to a person reading it. For example, a car insurance has a billboard ad demonstrating a car crash and will cover everything.
2. "Translating the discrete images and text into a coherent argument requires inductive reasoning, moving from specific pieces of evidence to a major premise"(240).
Images can have a lot of meaning behind it. Starting an argument by analyzing an image, especially an advertisement, requires the truth. What I mean by this is that an ad may portray an issue, but not to the full extent. In the reading, it gave an example of kids playing field hockey. The point of it was to get the point across that kids are having hunger issues and rely on free school lunch, yet they're on vacation. The real meaning behind it, in my opinion, is that hunger in America exists and children and families suffer from it.
3. "The children from poor and illiterate homes tend to remain poor and illiterate is an unacceptable failure of our schools, one which has occurred not because our teachers are inept but chiefly because they are compelled to teach a fragmented curriculum based on faulty educational theories"(33).
Nothing is more frustrating to me to see children not getting the same opportunities as fortunate ones based on where they're from. This statement basically summarizes everything I believe in.
3. Is it really the system at fault for cultural literacy?
2. 1. "An ad on a billboard will reach many people whose assumptions about hunger in America, will vary, as will their levels of education, race, gender, and ethnicity"(238).
This line caught my attention because I have noticed that billboard ads hat talk about hunger issues or drug use will be placed on an urban area. I don't see much billboard ads with these topics in a nice suburban area. I believe that these ads try to identify what kind of people they are in a neighborhood. They target the attention of the audience to persuade them into buying their products or joining their company. I notice that pathos is used quite a lot when advertising so it could relate to a person reading it. For example, a car insurance has a billboard ad demonstrating a car crash and will cover everything.
2. "Translating the discrete images and text into a coherent argument requires inductive reasoning, moving from specific pieces of evidence to a major premise"(240).
Images can have a lot of meaning behind it. Starting an argument by analyzing an image, especially an advertisement, requires the truth. What I mean by this is that an ad may portray an issue, but not to the full extent. In the reading, it gave an example of kids playing field hockey. The point of it was to get the point across that kids are having hunger issues and rely on free school lunch, yet they're on vacation. The real meaning behind it, in my opinion, is that hunger in America exists and children and families suffer from it.
3. "The children from poor and illiterate homes tend to remain poor and illiterate is an unacceptable failure of our schools, one which has occurred not because our teachers are inept but chiefly because they are compelled to teach a fragmented curriculum based on faulty educational theories"(33).
Nothing is more frustrating to me to see children not getting the same opportunities as fortunate ones based on where they're from. This statement basically summarizes everything I believe in.
3. Is it really the system at fault for cultural literacy?
Comments
Post a Comment