Reading blog #4: From Inquiry

Reading blog #4: from Inquiry

1.

  • Academic writing starts off with someone else's idea and you continuing the conversation. 
  • Habits of mind: you use your curiosity to question opinions, explore alternative opinions, anticipate opposing arguments, etc. You are engaged in critical thinking.
  • Academic writing is making an argument on an issue
  • Steps to inquiry:
    • Observations
    • Asking questions
    • Examining alternatives
2.  1. "[Academic argument] is the careful expression of an idea or perspective based on the reasoning  and the insights garnered from a close examination of the arguments others have made on the issue"(2). 
When I first read this, I understood that you need to get that main idea or claim of the issue. Everyone has their own opinion on issues and that's where academic argument comes into play. Academic argument is the main statement of any literacy as it appears as the introduction that the writer will develop in order to convince his readers. 

    2. "In her reading on the American civil rights movement of the 1950s and 1960s, one of our students observed that the difficulties many immigrant groups experienced when they first arrived in the United States are not acknowledged as struggles for civil rights. This student of Asian descent wondered why the difficulties Asians faced in assimilating into American culture are not seen as analogous to the efforts..."(5). 
This paragraph showed the steps to inquiry which are observe, ask questions, and examine alternatives. This was a good example for me to understand because the writer did her research and is analyzing the information she gathered and proceed with the questions she has. She observed the unfairness of immigrants, asked questions about her main idea, and explored how things could be different, in which she stated that the this nation prides itself on justice and protection of its people's civil rights. 

   3. "People engaging in productive conversation try to create change by listening and responding to one another rather than dominating one another"(10).
I find this to be true because I know when I'm talking to someone, I listen to what they have to say and not even say my opinion. I think I do this because I don't want to start an argument or be ignored when I'm saying my own point of view. 


3. Will this help me in doing better when writing essays? 





















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

P.W. 10/24

Blog #9

Reading blog #10