Reading blog #3: Freire 'Reading the World'
Reading blog #3: Freire 'Reading the World'
1. This article talks about the experience the author went through when reading. When reading, he used the words from his world, meaning he learned how to read with the objects around him and the moments he went through.
2. 1. "I see myself then in the average Recife house where I was born, encircled by trees. Some of the trees were like persons to me, such the intimacy between us. In their shadow I played, and in the branches susceptible to my height I experienced the small risks which prepared me for greater risks and adventures"(6).
1. This article talks about the experience the author went through when reading. When reading, he used the words from his world, meaning he learned how to read with the objects around him and the moments he went through.
2. 1. "I see myself then in the average Recife house where I was born, encircled by trees. Some of the trees were like persons to me, such the intimacy between us. In their shadow I played, and in the branches susceptible to my height I experienced the small risks which prepared me for greater risks and adventures"(6).
- The author starts off by using imagery to describe his house and the trees. My reaction to this was that instead of getting a dictionary like Malcolm X, he used the objects around him. This is interesting to me because he really focused on everything happening in his world. When he describes his house, he also describes the meaningful things that happened. For example, his first steps and his first words. I agree that these experiences help a lot when reading so you can really envision what is going on when reading something.
2. "The earth was my blackboard; sticks, my chalks"(8).
- This was one of my favorite lines from this article because he is basically saying that he learned through his experiences in life and actually seeing the world. It was very deep to me.
3. "Reading the world always precedes reading the word, and reading the word implies continually reading the world"(10).
- This was another of my favorite lines because to me he is saying the more you read, the more you understand and comprehend the reality of the world. Words are symbols that have a meaning and people use it to inform and understand the world.
3. How can words impact or inspire people's lives?
Comments
Post a Comment