Reading blog #1: Malcolm X

Reading blog #1: Malcolm X

1. This is Malcolm's biography on how he learns how to read and it is quite unusual. It is unusual because he learned how to read and write better straight out of a dictionary. While being in prison, all he ever did was study. He learned so much of the world's history and impacted him. At the end, Malcolm realizes that he got more knowledge in prison than he would have imagined if he were to go to college.

2. 1. "I could for the first time pick up a book and read and now begins to understand what the book was saying"(2).
  • Reading straight out of a dictionary is one unusual way to read better but it became very efficient for Malcolm. Instead of just skipping the words he didn't know when reading a book and not understanding the book, he actually gets something out of it. I relate to Malcolm because when I read a book or anything, I just read through it and not fully understand it. 
    2. "You will never catch me with a free fifteen minutes in which I'm not studying something I feel might be able to help the black man"(6).

  • Malcolm is very educated. As a black man, he wants others to know that history written by white men is ruined. For example, Toynbee. I was very engaged when I started reading about Malcolm doing more research on how history had been "whitened". Discrimination and oppression will never be forgotten. My reaction to it was that I felt disturbed at the fact that white people have that kind of power to do the most horrific things. 
    3. "In fact, prison enabled me to study far more intensively than I would have if my life had gone differently and I had attended some college"(6).
  • Not everyone needs to go to college to explore and digest new ideas. Prison was an escape for Malcolm to expand his love and expression through literature. Sometimes I learn way more from my dad than in school, and he dropped out of school at such an early age. 

3. 1. Why did he go to prison in the first place?
    2. Why did he drop out of school? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

P.W. 10/24

Blog #9

Reading blog #10