Essay #1 Idea Draft/Outline
Theme: Coming of Age
- high school
- kairos
- softball
- being a big sister
Prompt: Who are you as a writer and as a reader?
I am a thoughtful writer. I like to write down my thoughts and feelings. I usually write about something I have experienced and how I felt in that situation. As a reader, I am a partial reader. I am incapable of finishing what I started reading.
In school?
As a writer, I am not the best at writing essays. It isn't my strongest point and it usually takes me time to write an essay. To be completely honest, I hate writing essays. Sometimes I don't even know what I am writing about. As a reader, I am also incapable of finishing a book I started reading. I'll usually get up to reading like two chapters and give up on it.
How will it help you as an academic writer and reader in college?
As a writer, writing down my thoughts and feelings from my experiences will definitely help me to write narrative essays because I can compare my real life experiences to something/someone else. As a reader, this won't really help me if I never finish a book, so I hope I change that about myself.
Connect or interact with the ideas of at least one author from this unit.
Malcolm X because he always did his research on topics he was interested in. I relate to this because when I am writing, I love to read and write about topics I am interested in also. For example, he did his research on black history and how horrible America was for their discrimination. I am highly interested in topics about discrimination, human trafficking, and immigration.
What is your relationship to English languages?
I speak it all the time, I read and write in it, it is a language that connects me with other people, besides speaking Spanish.
My personal definitions in American Society:
Literacy- being able to read and write English in school
Read- just being able to pronounce words
Write- putting words together to make sense when you put your thoughts into it
'Home' experiences with language:
- speaking another language at home
- teaching and helping my siblings with homework
Educational Experiences before college
- writing essays
- social justice project
- poetry
- spoken-word
Outside of School:
- social media (Twitter, Instagram, Tumblr)
- listening to music (lyrics)
- advertisements
- murals/museums
- memes
- billboards
I liked your main idea of “coming of age”. You included many personal examples which supported your main idea and emphasized how you got to where you are today. Instead of just making connections to similar interests and topics you and Malcom X carry, try to relate to your own personal experiences of activism, self-motivation, and creating own learning methods just as he did.
ReplyDeleteThe title already does make me want to read your essay. Your essay will be using personal experiences with language in and out of college and at home. The idea of connecting to Malcom X about loving to read and write is amazing. Make sure you find as much example of Malcom X personal experiences that interest and connect with your personal life to complete your essay.
ReplyDeleteI can’t wait to read it! Good luck!