Reading blog #6: A Path Appears
1. This book is about people making a change in our world. A lot of the stories contained people suffering and in misery but they bounced back to prove others wrong.
2. 1."The challenge is to nurture a culture of altruism and empathy, seeking to imbue an instinct for social engagement"(15).
This quote really hit me because many communities don't have that good influence for the young people. Kids need to have a mentor and a goal in life to make a change in their communities. Terri Trent set a great example of this because she started out with nothing and came out with a lot to give when she reached her goal to become a doctor. She is an inspiration to many others, including me.
2. "That's how a Californian woman, by donating $250, underwrote the transformation of a life halfway around the world"(24).
The story of how a woman writing a check for a little girl to get surgery with clubfoot was one of my favorites. I didn't even know this was a common thing in this country, or even in any other country. I was very surprised when I first read that this symptom existed because I was totally unaware this existed. Giving back is always a good feeling to have because the person being helped has hope.
3. "One reason many people feel poverty is a hopeless cause is that they think some parents are inevitably going to do a wretched job and that there is no way for outsiders or the government to make a difference"(60).
I agree with this statement because I honestly believe that the government doesn't do much to help the poorest of the poor. Instead of buying a million dollars worth of designer clothes, why not use it to buy clothes for the people that need it most.
3. What can I do in my part to help make a difference in my community?
2. 1."The challenge is to nurture a culture of altruism and empathy, seeking to imbue an instinct for social engagement"(15).
This quote really hit me because many communities don't have that good influence for the young people. Kids need to have a mentor and a goal in life to make a change in their communities. Terri Trent set a great example of this because she started out with nothing and came out with a lot to give when she reached her goal to become a doctor. She is an inspiration to many others, including me.
2. "That's how a Californian woman, by donating $250, underwrote the transformation of a life halfway around the world"(24).
The story of how a woman writing a check for a little girl to get surgery with clubfoot was one of my favorites. I didn't even know this was a common thing in this country, or even in any other country. I was very surprised when I first read that this symptom existed because I was totally unaware this existed. Giving back is always a good feeling to have because the person being helped has hope.
3. "One reason many people feel poverty is a hopeless cause is that they think some parents are inevitably going to do a wretched job and that there is no way for outsiders or the government to make a difference"(60).
I agree with this statement because I honestly believe that the government doesn't do much to help the poorest of the poor. Instead of buying a million dollars worth of designer clothes, why not use it to buy clothes for the people that need it most.
3. What can I do in my part to help make a difference in my community?
Comments
Post a Comment